UNLV Boyd Law Blog

Admissions | Academics | Centers and Programs | Faculty | Careers | Library


UNLV Boyd Law Blog

An online community for collaboration on legal policy, practice and academics

Monday, May 12, 2014

Boyd Student Emily Anderson Wins Jackson Lewis Scholarship

When second-year student Emily Anderson participated in Boyd’s Lunch with a Law Firm program, she wasn’t expecting to leave with a scholarship opportunity.

“I saw an email for a lunch with Jackson Lewis. Labor and employment law is something I’m interested in, so I went, wanting to learn more,” Anderson said. “After the lunch, they were talking a little bit about the scholarship they offer. I asked if I might apply, and (Boyd Professional Development Coordinator) Nikki Harris encouraged me to.”

Applying for the scholarship was exactly the right move, as Anderson was recently chosen as the recipient of the $5,000 award.

“I was very surprised. I didn’t think I’d get it,” Anderson said. “It means that I don’t have to get another loan, which is amazing. That’s the biggest thing for me. Plus it’s at a firm where I could actually see myself working in the future.”

Jackson Lewis, which focuses on representing management exclusively in workplace law, annually awards a $5,000 scholarship designed to benefit law students from underrepresented social and economic backgrounds who are interested in the areas of labor and employment law.

“What helped me get the scholarship, I think, is the letters of recommendation. In undergrad, I worked in a psychology lab, and the professor I worked for wrote an amazing letter of recommendation, similar to the one she wrote to help me get into law school,” Anderson said. “Last semester, I worked as a T.A. for Professor Pollman. She wrote a wonderful letter for me, too.”

Anderson is an Articles Editor for the Nevada Law Journal. Next spring, she will be working in the Thomas & Mack Legal Clinic’s new Small Business & Nonprofit Legal Clinic. Anderson, who currently works at Bogatz Law Group as a law clerk, has her sights set on a state clerkship after graduation.

“I’d like to get a state clerkship, but I don’t know where I’ll go after that. It depends on how it goes this summer at Bogatz Law Group. I do love the people I’m working with,” she said. “I’ve always thought about teaching, too. I’m still figuring it out.”